Thursday 8 December 2011

Study Visit Confirmation

It’s been a few weeks since my last post, so I thought I’d use this opportunity to share some good news.

Back in August, my line manager suggested I apply to attend an EU-funded study visit. I’ll admit to being quite dubious at the time – I thought only the best of the best were ever awarded places on these kinds of things. I was even more dubious when I saw the application form itself - it was solid! I brushed it under the carpet and ignored it for a while, and when the week of the deadline arrived I still hadn’t done anything about it. I was really in two minds – it’d be great to do but surely my chances were low, so why even bother. In a moment of madness, I posted my dilemma on Facebook. Usually, the majority of people just ignore my status updates but this one generated a huge response and everyone said I should go for it. So I did. I burned the midnight oil and with the help of my long-suffering boyfriend, put together the best damn application I could manage. Popped it in the post the day before the deadline and never expected to hear anything more of it.


Until, that is, this week! Totally out of the blue, I received an email informing me my application has been successful. I was soooo chuffed, I really couldn’t believe it. I wanted to tell everyone, but in true Cara Style, this was the day I’d forgotten to take my mobile phone to work so I was cut-off from everyone I know (typical, eh?).

The study visit is administered by Ecroys and Transversal, and is open to people throughout all EU countries. There are numerous visits in various countries on various topics aimed at professionals in various education-based roles. The visit I applied for will focus on ‘new media in education and the professional development of librarians’ and is held during May 2012. Along with up to fourteen other librarians, I will have the opportunity to visit libraries in Poland and observe ways in which e-learning is utilised, as well as giving presentations ourselves based on our own experiences and working practices.

I was completely shocked to have secured a place, I feel so lucky, and my excitement is growing day by day. I’m a little apprehensive about the journey as I’ve never travelled abroad alone before, but I’m sure the logistics will become clearer once I’ve attended the briefing seminar in January. It’s an exciting opportunity to observe others and share good practice. I’m looking forward to meeting new people who share the same interests as I do and swapping material. In a nutshell, I can’t wait to start brushing up on my Polish!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! We shall expect blog posts when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news Cara, well done! Sounds like a great opportunity :)

    I'm glad you applied - I often feel the same as you before I put an application in but if it's something I want to do I always think it's worth a shot and often am pleasantly surprised by the outcome. Always good to hone your skills on applications too so even if I'm not successful I know it has been a useful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news! It'll be really interesting to hear all about your travels and experiences in May.

    ReplyDelete