Friday 10 August 2012

Goodbye Ed Panel

Image taken by Woodleywonderworks
An archived post on BtB outline my application and acceptance on the editorial panel for CILIP update with gazette magazine. This panel consisted of a number of CILIP members who provided feedback on the content of each issue (post-publication) via a closed forum on CILIP Communities.

A short while ago I received an email from CILIP informing me that the editorial panel was to be disbanded. The future includes the possible establishment of a new panel which provides feedback in terms of content ideas (pre-publication). This month, I received the first issue of the magazine without mention of the editorial panel on the contents page. For me, it was a sad day.

I had a sneaky feeling the panel may be disolved. Since the structural and organisational changes at CILIP came into effect several months ago, there had been a different feeling within the editorial panel; responses from some CILIP staff (though not all) were fewer, panel members were demotivated, meetings at CILIP headquarters ceased, the provision of feedback decreased. A breath of fresh air was needed.

The new style panel is an interesting concept, it may be of more value to CILIP than the old style panel and it should be full of fresh perspectives. Membership of CILIP is costly and because of this I am strongly in favour of members (in some way) being involved with the magazine. I feel the provision of a panel is a more accurate and timely way of determining readers’ views than by means of a one off annual survey. Should the concept of the new panel go ahead, I hope CILIP members see the value of it and apply to join.

I enjoyed being on the editorial panel and am certain it helped me secure new employment last year. Although I did not always post feedback for each issue, I am sad it has come to an end. It would have been nice to stay on the panel for the entirety of my three year term, instead I am 6 months short. Alas, all good things must come to an end. Goodbye, editorial panel.

1 comment:

  1. It's a shame to hear this has gone and I do hope there are plans to establish a new panel so that membership involvement remains.

    I always thought it a little strange that reviewing was post-publication though so can definitely see that it would be beneficial to have a panel informing ideas for content - I know for example that there are many special librarians that feel there is not enough valuable content for them as the focus is on public and academic libraries.

    ReplyDelete