Thursday 19 December 2013

ClickView intentions

Some things take time to achieve.
Image by
kamera.obskura
Back in September  I started to oversee ClickView, the library’s online streaming service. Our subscription package allows us to record six Freeview channels twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, for a rolling 14 days. There are some great programmes on TV which may be beneficial to learners and ClickView allows us to record and store these programmes. It works in a similar way to BBC iPlayer, except programmes do not automatically expire after a pre-defined period of time.

This academic year I have started looking at it from a management viewpoint.  After a term of finding my feet with the system I feel much more confident. It is a sound concept and can produce some excellent resources for learners to use. The main issue I find is the marketing of the service. In October I attended a drop-in session with the college marketing department and asked how to publicise ClickView.  Usage of the service could be higher and there is plenty of room for improvement.  The marketing department suggested various methods of raising the profile including one which had not been tried before – going into curriculum team meetings.



By going into different curriculum team meetings I have realised that teaching staff in different directorates request the same programmes, without knowing it has already been requested by someone else. I hope to produce a monthly document outlining ‘what’s new in ClickView’ and highlight it on the staff intranet. At the same time I’ll create curriculum-specific documents and send to the relevant departments. Hopefully this will give teaching staff a better idea of which programmes are stored in ClickView.

I have also started to liaise with the regional sales manager for ClickView and last month hosted a ClickView user forum. I plan to hold another in February but before this time I need to establish a contact list of attendees to invite. I also need to create a structure for the agenda which facilitates constructive meetings attendees find valuable. I enjoyed hosting the first forum meeting and look forward to the challenge of establishing a regular event. I’m always keen to attend user group meetings myself and I am enthused by the opportunity of organising such a network rather than simply being a passive attendee.


So here we are – my ClickView intentions for 2014: to establish a regular forum meeting and improve awareness of the service amongst teaching staff. There’s only so much of my working week I can devote to it and these things take a lot of time, but I’m determined to back up my intentions with action. It’ll take some time before we see a sustained increased in usage, but hopefully it will all come together before the end of next year.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you don’t mind me commenting here but I couldn't find a contact email address and I just wanted to let you know that I have been enjoying reading your blog Behind the Bookshelves.

    I graduated with a Degree in Librarianship in 1994 and have worked in a variety of roles since then, although at the moment I am nearing the end of a career break that has allowed me to spend time with my young children, whilst working towards a Degree in English Language and Literature with the Open University.

    I maintain a professional interest in the field and recently set up my own blog at http://www.jennifer-brown.co.uk which includes a Library Newsround page where I am aggregating as many Library blogs as I can find, as well as generating a daily email which includes posts that have been published in the last 24 hours. The posts are included in summary format and link back to the original blog to read the full post. I’ve done this mainly to help me keep up to date with current issues, but I included the email list as I thought it might be of interest to others.

    I wanted to let you know that I have included your blog in my lists of feeds to aggregate. At the moment I am the only subscriber to the mailing list, so I don’t think you’ll notice a significant increase in traffic, but I wanted to check that you were happy to be included? If not just let me know and I’ll remove your feed URL.

    If you are aware of any other blogs that you find useful in the field please let me know and I’ll add them to my feed list. You can email me at jennifer @ jennifer-brown.co.uk [remove spaces]

    Best wishes, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete