Wednesday 24 August 2011

Favourite Reads

Just finished reading a book which really moved me (One Day by David Nicholls) and it got me thinking about books I’ve found pleasure in. So, here is a list; not merely of books I’ve enjoyed (far too numerous), but here are ten books which have made a positive lasting impression upon me and my life.

1. The Lovely Bones, by Alice Seabold. A Richard and Judy Bookclub book, this had a huge impact on me. It's not a very pleasant read but it's a book everyone ought to tackle.

2. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, by Mark Haddon. At the time of reading, I worked with an Autistic pupil, and this book helped me understand the condition a little better than I did.

3. The Harry Potter series, by JK Rowling. All-encompassing. I don't see how anybody can not be drawn in by these books.

4. Riders, by Jilly Cooper. I read this when I moved to Wales at 18. I was homesick at first and this helped take my mind off things. It became my refuge during a time I found difficult to cope and adapt.


5. Pandora, by Jilly Cooper. After the end of a long term relationship I had trouble sleeping. I read this book in bed at night and it helped transport me to a happier place.

6. Gone with the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell. The first time I read this I was abt 14. It was the very first book that made me cry.

7. Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte. Finally - a classic I actually enjoy reading! I absolutely love this book, it's so passionate. I went to see the Bronte house a few years back and I was so moved to physically be where this book was written.

8. Winnie the Pooh, by AA Milne. These stories really make me laugh - they're genius. I'm Eeyore through and through. These stories really lift me.

9. Bridget Jones, by Helen Fielding.
This could be the diary of any single girl. I really related to it. How sad lol.

10. The Short Stories of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle. The first one I read was recommended by my old English teacher, and I was 16 at the time. At 32 Sherlock is still a firm favourite.  I was hooked instantly and nicked a book from the school library so I could read them all!

PS. I couldn't resist an extra one:
11. His Dark Materials, by Phillip Pullman.
I read all three of this trilogy and really hated them. They drained me, and by the end of it I felt as though I'd done battle with a significant text, such as the Bible. However, they did have a positive impact on my life; I had a job interview for a school librarian post where I was asked which children's books I'd read. I mentioned these and launched into a tirade of how heavy and hard going they were. I thought I'd gone over the top with my negativity but the interview panel said it showed I was passionate and it got me the job. Hurrah - thanks Phil! 


1 comment:

  1. It's be interesting to read similar lists compiled by other folks...

    ReplyDelete